Thursday 11 December 2008

no fool

Why do people always seem to think it is their place to offer up opinions on my choices? I can't tell you how many times in last few days I have had people tell me that I am throwing my career away, how I will regret this decision and what a fool I am. I am of course talking about my recent resignation from the company where I have worked for the past three years. People just can't accept that just because I have been offered something THEY want, I am not a fool for not wanting it for myself.

The truth is that I never grew up wanting to work in sales, I never dreamt of targets and comissions. I am not a person that is naturally motivated by making money, for myself or for others. I am not particularly competitive. Worst of all, I actually quite dispise the whole consumerist, capitalist essence of the industry in general and this company in particular. Don't get me wrong, I realise I need to make money to live, that I will always need a job. However I would like to believe that there is a job out there that I will find much more fulfilling and meaningful than selling bikinis. The position I have is a a great opportunity for the right person, however that person is not me.

So inspite of everyone elses "wise words" I am going my own way.

2 comments:

You will eat it and you will like it said...

You go girl! Utan att ha alla detaljerna är jag helt säker på att du gör vad som är rätt för d i g och för nu. Jag tog också ett avgörande slutapåjobbet-beslut för inte så länge sedan, för att kunna flytta hit till London. Det var helt rätt. Och du har en resa som mål.

Ang karriärskliv måste jag säga att den här stan, och arbetsmarknaden i synnerhet som jag liknar vid en hårig best med huggtänder, ger sunt perspektiv på vad som är viktigt - ett framåt eller ett åt sidan. För egen del har jag letat jobb sen i början av Oktober och har killed många darlings.

Nadja said...

Ah, tack vad glad jag blir for dina uppmuntrande ord Ulrika! Ibland far man sa mycket motstand att tror man maste vara galen som ser saken pa ett sa annorlunda satt. Hoppas att du hittar ett jobb som passar dig har i london, lycka till!