Tuesday 17 January 2012

Time for change

My friend Maria went home to Sweden yesterday after visiting me for a long weekend. It was so great having her here and I was sad to see her go. We've been friends for so long that we can talk about everything and anything. And we do. We talk and talk and talk. It's like a mutual therapy session. She gives me a different perspective on things and I always feel like she understands exactly what I mean.

I've had many epiphanies these last few days. I need to compromise less. I need keep the pieces that make me me, regardless of how other people feel about them. Because everytime I take a step back to make room for others opinions of me, I make myself a little smaller, a little less important. It gets harder and harder to remember who I was at the beginning, who I really am. There is only so much you can sacrifice in the name of peace. I want to stop fearing the consequences, stop trying to be so sensible. Stand up for myself, be myself and let the chips fall where they may.

Maybe 2012 will be the year.

No comments: