Sunday 29 July 2012

Chocolate and almond cookies

For ages now I have been meaning to share with you a recipe for some "healthy" cookies I made ages ago. I say "healthy" because everyone's opinion on what is actually healthy varies. Some eat low fat, some eat low carb etc. Some think it's healthier to use sweeteners instead of sugar. I personally don't consider artificial sweeteners healthy and think it is much better for you to have natural, unrefined sugars like honey or dried fruit. Some people think agave syrup is healthy because it doesn't affect your blood sugar, I think it is really unhealthy as it instead turns in to fat in your liver because it is so unnatural your body is unable to recognise that it is sugar.... Actually, don't even get me started on agave, I think it deserves a whole post of it's own!

Anyway, the cookies. The are fairly low in carbs as they are made with almond flour instead of wheat or oats. They are not entirely low carb as I use honey for sweetness (by all means, use stevia or something if you are so inclined) and a little bit of dark chocolate for flavour. I think this is neglible, I really enjoy something sweet with my afternoon coffee so surely these are better than cadbury chocolate fingers. Each to their own!
This is my adaptation of this recipe.
Untitled

Chocolate and almond cookies

1 egg
25 grams or butter
100 grams ground almonds
a handfull of hazelnuts
2 tbs honey (or more or less depending on how sweet you want your cookies)
a couple of squares of dark chocolate

Lightly whisk the egg. Melt the butter. Roughly chop the hazelnuts and the dark chocolate. Mix everything together to form a sticky dough. Roll little balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, before squashing them down with your hand. Bake for 12-15 minutes at gas mark 4 (175 degrees celcius)

They won't be crispy like regular cookies, but they will chewy and yummy!

No comments: