Tuesday 31 July 2012

Quinoa Quiche


P1110943
This weekend I tried something new, quiche made with Quinoa instead of pastry! I was looking for recipes with Quinoa and came across this amazing egg bake. Quinoa is a super healthy, grain like seed originating is south America. It's high in protein (18%) and also contains magnesium, iron and calcium and is a good source of dietary fibre. I have only used it as I would cous cous or bulgur but wanted to try something different. I found this recipe, which I made a few small changes to. It's so easy to make, much simpler than making pastry, chilling it, rolling out etc. With the added health benefits it's a great alternative to regular quiche. The quinoa doesn't require any pre-cooking, it simply falls to the bottom of the dish and forms a crust.

I made my quiche according to the recipe, but used whatever I had at home which led to the following changes:
I didn't use spinach, instead I added chopped bacon which I fried until crispy. I added chopped spring onions, skipped the garlic and thyme and threw grated cheddar in at the start. I also used half the amounts as I had a smaller dish. The possibilities are endless, you could use pretty much anything you like. I'll definitely be making this again when I am too lazy to make pastry!
P1110940
P1110939

1 comment:

Nathalie said...

Oj vad gott det lät!