Saturday 7 July 2012

Giving life etc.

I'm trying to write the story of what happened when Una was born, just over four months ago, but I am struggling. I absolutely love reading and talking about births, other peoples experiences as well as my own. But for some reason I am finding it difficult to write about what happened. Maybe because it was so different from my expectations. Maybe because I sometimes feel like I didn't "do" that well. Even though my head knows labour is not a performance that you can do well or less well at, my heart still carries around some vague feeling of failure. Maybe because my experience was so traumatic that I sometimes feel nauseous when thinking about it in detail. But mainly it's because it feels so private. So exposing. The same way I feel slightly embarrassed talking about the injuries I sustained during my labour, I suppose it seems so related to sex and your private parts (worst expression ever). At the same time, when I read other people's birth stories I never feel as if they're getting a bit too personal or exposing too much. I guess it's about finding a balance, perhaps you don't need to include every gory detail to tell the full story. Hopefully I will get there in the end.

2 comments:

Londonswede - Sara said...

Åh ja, jag vill läsa...;) men ja jag håller med dig, tycker också att jag inte riktigt kan säga till folk att jag har minsann fött barn bara för att jag fick kejsarsnitt... Men jag hade ju kryst värkar när vi började operationen så det är klart att jag varit med om förlossning ändå. En sak är säker det verkar aldrig bli som man vill eller tror....

Nadja said...

Du har absolut fött barn! Även de som gjort planerat kejsarsnitt har fött barn. Ett barn har blivit fött, alltså har man fött barn. Sen har man såklart olika upplevelser, du vet ju hur det känns att gå igenom ett kejsarsnitt, det vet ju inte jag. Jag som förlöstes med tång, ska man säga att jag fött barn mindre än nån som lyckades krysta ut sin bebis? Nej, vi har fött barn och vi har gjort det jäkligt bra, precis som alla andra mammor! :)